Shift Capital and its partners are thrilled to announce the launch of the Kensington Avenue Storefront Challenge – a collaborative effort to reimagine this once vibrant Philadelphia business corridor. Like many former economic hubs in the city, the “Ave” has suffered from a world that left old urban-style, walkable retail behind. This is an opportunity for Philadelphia, and the world, to reimagine what tomorrow’s walkable, urban corridor might look like.
We are seeking both the dreamers and the doers, the old school and the new school. We can’t do this without a key ingredient…YOU, which may include entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs, Kensington residents, nonprofit organizations, restaurant owners, business owners, makers, and artists. Our goal is to find the right combination of old businesses and new concepts and support them in this effort.
What Will You Win?
- Up to 1 year of long term lease free from Shift Capital
- Up to $10,000 toward the interior improvements of the retail space from Shift Capital
- 50% of the cost of installing signage and storefront features, up to $10,000 per storefront (or $15,000 for a corner store) from the Storefront Improvement Program through the Department of Commerce
- 50% of the cost of installing exterior security cameras, up to $3,000 from the Business Security Camera Program through the Department of Commerce
- Technical Assistance provided by NKCDC and Impact Services which includes:
- Licensing & permitting assistance
- Navigating city departments & resources
- Zoning assistance
- Financial referrals
- Business planning (business plan templates, referrals to SBDCs, provide feedback on business plan)
- Kiva loan program
- Potential to negotiate ownership of property at end of lease
- September 12, 2017: Official Launch, Applications available for download
- September 27, 2017: Launch Event, 6-8pm, at Kensington Storefront (2774 Kensington Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19134)
- October 7, 2017: Open house, all spaces will be open for viewing from 12-2pm
- November 1, 2017: Deadline for submittal of APPLICATIONS
- November 17, 2017: Announcement of Applicants advancing to Presentation Round
- Week of December 4, 2017: Remaining Applicants present their concepts to the Review Committee. Presentation to be no more than 5 minutes. Exact date and location TBD
- December 18, 2017: Announcement of Kensington Avenue Storefront Challenge Winners
Learn more on the Kensington Avenue Storefront Challenge Website.